Friday, March 5, 2010

Nothing to see here, folks....

Kristen made it through the night and really settled down during the day, thank God. Where we thought labor was almost inevitable last night, we now think she can go a bit farther on this road. With her mom there, I came back home for the night to get a little sleep and will then go back in the morning.

I tell you what, this thing is going to give me a heart attack! Most of the crazy rides I have been on and through in life, I have been able to figure out how best to handle them. With this one, however, I haven't been able to come up with anything. I can't seem to find the manual! Even after I keep myself "calm" when something happens, later (as in this afternoon/evening) I realize how much it has taken out of me. I am exhausted, to say the least. And Kristen still hasn't even had these little terrors!

I guess it comes down to the fact that not only can I not wrap my mind around the fact that I am going to be a dad (wasn't I just thinking only of myself in college yesterday?!), but that there are going to be three little babies. Tonight, I wrote out the letter we will send to companies that have multiples programs for families. Even writing out the baby's names now makes me pause for a minute and just look at them (yes, we do have names; you'll get them when they arrive so simmer down). I can't believe there are going to be two boys and a precious little girl in our house. I keep hearing, "boys are so fun, but a baby girl will change you as a man." If only from afar for now, I really believe it.

I am really looking forward to all that will be with the boys. From trucks and mud, to LOTS of baseball (!!), it will be craziness. And to teaching little boys to grow up to be men is something I really look forward to and cherish (even if I am still trying to grow up myself).

But there is something about having a little girl that is really capturing my imagination. I think it is partly the relationship I know Kristen and her dad have, and had growing up. Much of it, though, I think comes from having seen my dad and Bethany. She was definitely a daddy's girl in every sense of the word. And while I know he loved (okay, loveS) Nate and I equally (maybe, I don't know; still up for debate), I think he would admit he loved her in a special and different way. Well, dad, here's to watching that and to trying to have that myself. Thanks for the picture window I was able to stare through.

For now, I will sleep and still try to imagine what it will be like to have three babies and a Fen dog together in our house. CRAZINESS!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so with the whole baby girl thing...you should totally read "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge!! It is absolutely, hands down my FAVORITE book of all time outside of the Bible, and its counterpart is amazing too ("Wild at Heart"). I'm sure you may have heard of it, but if you haven't read it...you should!! SOOO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete