Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Good Life






First, Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there. Being as it is my first, I am actually trying to figure out what it means. I mean, yeah, I am a dad. But what does it mean to be a father? I am still trying to figure that one out, as this has been one COMPLETELY overwhelming experience.

Many days, I wake up and feel like the world's worst dad, as there are some things I dread. Yes, I said that, but keep reading and you will see where I am coming from. It is always a shock to wake up and remember that, through the fog of early morning, there are three cute little munchkins sleeping/crying/cooing in the other room. Then there is the thought of the day. How am I/Kristen going to get through this day? I have yet to figure out how, during the week, to balance work and home life. And on the weekends, I get a glimpse of what Kristen goes through: 24/7 of three little people relying on your every move just to get through life. If one or two are asleep, the other one/two need some good TLC. There is never a minute off; it just keeps going. Needless to say it is a pretty daunting task.

And through it all, it really makes me think: what is the good life all about? Is it my "Roaring 20's" when life was all about me? Or my late twenties/early thirties when it was all about flying and Kristen and me? Those all were good times, especially the last 6 years (holy cow, that's right: our anniversary in 2 weeks....).

But maybe I was wrong. Even though I am still REALLY trying to figure out what this whole dad thing is all about, I have had glimpses: yesterday, taking everyone to the Calico Cupboard for breakfast and just being happy to be with the kids. Feeding the babies early this morning, and while making faces at Chloe, having my gorgeous little baby girl look at me, smile and laugh. Playing with Jackson and Lucas and hearing them coo and make the funniest sounds in the world. Whatever the Good Life is supposed to be, I think I am on to it. And I hear it only gets better. So here's to Father's Day, a whole new breed of life for me, even through the chaos and craziness.

(PS Here are some FABULOUS pics my sister in law, Jenni, took while she and Nate were here last weekend. Jenni, you definitely have a fine talent. Check out her website: http://www.jenniannephotography.com)

2 comments:

  1. And it continues to get better as your beautiful children continue to get older. A master plan from a Master Designer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those kiddos are absolutely gorgeous! Happy Father's Day and Happy Anniversary! You guys seem to be doing great!

    ReplyDelete